Here's an 1885 historic costume that I created for Watson's Mill, in Manotick The outfit is complete, with a cage bustle. For ease of use, I made an under bodice, rather than the more complex insert used in 1885. It would have been attached at one side and hooked in on the other, inside the bodice. Quite the operation! By doing it this way, the outfit is easily worn and cared for .
The skirt is pleated and draped over an under skirt foundation.
It's a challenge to find the right fabrics for a reproduction costume and stay within your budget. I used a cotton/poly sateen for the bodice and a cotton woven stripe for the skirt. Dark red braid imitated the passementerie the original would have had on the collar.