Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Double piping for Mrs Abbott

The costume is now cut in silk. I love making piping and this gown has double piping. I had to think through the application, as one layer is both piping and facing. The back has a very deep point, which is rounded slightly at the tip, to enable the piping to be turned to the wrong side with less bulk.

I'm very pleased with how it turned out. The bodice is now boned, the skirt is hemmed. I have re-cut the sleeves, to lower the sleeve heads.

I bought some lace from a collector. It's a Brussels lace from 1885, made with linen thread. She identified the lace on the original dress also as Brussels, with needle lace embellishing. It is exquisite, but rather gray. I am considering using the original lace, if it cleans up well.

I was told to soak it in Oxy Wash and then set it out to dry in the sun. I shall block it out with pins, rather than iron it. Wish me luck!








No comments: