Friday, July 9, 2010

Upcycling comes to the studio!

Once in a while, I get to sew something for myself. I have been dying to try this and when a small window of opportunity arose, I took it!

I bought the t-shirts a few weeks ago, took them home and washed them, so they'd be ready. I didn't want to risk shrinkage after the fact. I began by putting the blue shirt on my dress form. I have pretty good pattern making skills, if I do say so myself, but this time I threw caution to the wind and winged it. I draped the whole thing on the mannequin.

Starting with the neckline, I chalked on the new line and began making darts to shape the bust. I used a tape to delineate the bust line and chalked that on. Then I trued up the top on the cutting table and cut away the rest.

Back on the form and I pinned the red in place, adding darts again. I tired it on, decided to reshape the hips a little, but keep it loose in the body.

Then it was off to the sewing machine, to stitch the darts, then serge the edges. another fitting and I decided to add another strip to the hem, to balance the design and add some length. The red band at the front tied it all together. I've worn it twice now and got compliments each time. That makes it a hit, in my books!!