Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

Trains and ruffles

I love sitting down at my sewing machine, joining sections of fabric together. Stitch, stitch, the hum of the machine and pop! See how they come out, all joined together. I had to design someway to support a detachable train for the gown. It was decided a removable train was more practical than attaching it, as the original Mrs Abbott gown was done.

I shaped a yoke to match the back of the bodice. It was interfaced and lined to stiffen it and support the pleating. I hand sewed the gauged train to it. It worked! I shall use either whopper poppers (snaps) or a belt to secure it. It may need both, depending on the weight. I avoid Velcro whenever I can, since it can do so much damage when the rough side is left exposed in storage.

Assembling a modern gown using period techniques is a challenge, but it’s such a thrill to see it turn out right. Like the orginal, I have installed an organza and lace dust ruffle under the train. It will peek out as the bride walks down the aisle.






No comments: